Process = Progress?
In the past couple of days I have talked with several people new to CSD who have expressed concerns over the efficiency and relevance of the UN process. Some common questions: Why all the formality? Shouldn't we be talking about what works and what doesn't? What about the non-recyclable materials in the cafeteria? Is the CSD really accomplishing anything?
While concerns like these are certainly part of a normal reaction to seeing the process up close for the first time, I think it's important to put the events of this year's CSD in context.
This is a review session. Its goal is to establish parameters for next year's policy session as well as to provide an opportunity for governments and other stakeholders to discuss their priorities and view of the current state of affairs. This means there is a lot of "In my country..." and "In our organization...". Although this might not seem like the most productive use of time, it is important for delegates to hear what's going on in other regions and for other people. At next year's policy session the discussion will be more action-oriented as people discuss solutions.
I currently work in the field of homeless prevention and outreach in rural Colorado. After being accustomed to a much more casual environment focused on meeting the immediate needs of individuals, it has been a bit difficult to shift gears and see the sometimes abstract dialogue of CSD as real progress. But it is. Whereas providing a client with financial assistance, clothing, or a blanket is a solution at the most local or individual level, the meaning of "problem" and "solution" change when trying to discuss sustainability at the global level. A solution for one party at the table can be a problem for five others. If the discussion goes in one direction, some people will be disappointed that the other directions are being ignored. The sheer number of variables is also an obstacle.
A fair process is inevitably a slow one. Although it can be frustrating at times, it is important to have a skeptical kind of faith in the process, and to utilize opportunities to be a part of it. I think that this year, youth has set the standard for this sort of participation.

1 Comments:
I think that your point about non recyclable materials in the cafeteria brings up a point that I often wonder about: overall, is the CSD sustainable? Are the UN building's energy consumption habits sustainable? Is the food there sustainable? Is the airplane traval that brought the delegates here sustainable?
Sometimes I really wonder if we are doing more harm than good- your post addresses the conundrum nicely though. Thanks.
Post a Comment
<< Home