SustainUS Agents of Change

SustainUS delegates reflect on their experiences at the United Nations

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Swans

Today was my first day at the UN- I was oddly nervous as Elizabeth waited with me, chatting idly with the woman who processed my GYAN accreditation form, and the weary security guard snapped my picture. I felt my stomach falling slowly as I walked down the now familiar halls of the UN. More nervous than I've ever been before, I realized that I wasn't nervous for myself, but for the Agents- I didn't realize how emotionally attached I've become to this process- the countless hours of preparation, the conference calls, the meetings.

Our Agents were amazing. They blend in flawlessly and stand out effortlessly. They write statements, make contacts, and absolutely dazzle. I don't know if they see this themselves, or if my 24 hour time lag (missing yesterday) affords me fresh eyes, or if they are just too modest, but I actually felt tears welling in my eyes.

I don't mean to get too personal here, but remember that story about the duckling who turns into a swan? I thought our Agents were ducklings- a little green, a little nervous, inundated with that "I'm in over my head," vaguely exhilarating feeling. Today I realized that they are most certainly not ducklings. They are swans- I am humbled seeing the work they are doing with the Youth caucus, other Major Groups, the US delegation, and the UN process. I feel like a duck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home