Sunday Night Orientation

The Agents, delegation leaders, steering committee members, and other SustainUS members who will be attending the Commission on Sustainable Development this week met for a 2 and a half hour orientation tonight. At a crowded table in the engineering building at Columbia University, we discussed our goals and purposes at the UN, fun things to do in New York, this blog and It's Getting Hot in Here, and most importantly, getting to know each other. The excitement was palpable, and I can't wait for the Agents to take the UN by storm.
Some things I'm looking forward to: a real-life, super qualified official US Youth Delegate. What an amazing gesture on the part of the US government and a fantastic opportunity for US young people, as well as a testament to the power of lobbying work and persistence. Policy papers, created by our Agents, being used to educate ourselves and reach out the youth caucus. A well-organized, well attended, and energized youth caucus coming off of a fabulous CSD Youth Energy Blast. Our delegates who have a huge amount of professional and educational experience in the issues that will be discussed this year and will contribute to the discussions not only as youth but as educated, informed voices of experience.
Months of preparation have gone into this weekend- I feel like I've spent most of it outside of myself somehow, vaguely aware that after weeks of email correspondence, I've finally met the Agents who before existed only as email address, fantastic resumes, and housing arrangements. I can't believe that tomorrow morning, they'll be all dressed in business attire, ready to enter the UN. Soon, they'll be contributing to different Major Groups, meeting delegates, taking notes in plenary sessions, and staying up all night drafting papers with the youth caucus. They'll be using acronyms with ease, navigating the UN corridors, and spreading the good name of SustainUS through CSD-14. Most of all, they'll be finding their own spot in this huge process while becoming a closely knit community within themselves, realizing how much they have in common and how much they can learn from each other.
Good luck, guys. I can't wait.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home